How to get help for your child in school

girl at school in wheelchair

If your child is experiencing difficulties with their work in school, please speak to their teacher and headteacher in the first instance. Schools will have may years of experience in supporting children with additional learning needs and usually have a named SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) who will oversee support for children within their school.

All educational settings must support the development of children with special needs and expectations of this are set up in the SEND code of practice (2015)

If your child is already receiving additional support from their school but it is felt they need further assistance, then the school or yourselves can request further support and assessment of your child. More information about this process can be found by clicking here.

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a legal document all about your child’s needs and the support they require. An EHCP may be issued when the support of your child’s support needs cannot be met from the resources usually available to schools and they require more intensive or specialist support. For more information on obtaining an EHCP for your child click here.

Essex County Council have recently updated their SEND processes and information about this work is available here.

Service Contact